All I knew about the “Peaceful Warrior” was the IMDB summary (“A chance encounter with a stranger changes the life of a college gymnast.”) and that it had Nick Nolte in it. This was enough toe check it out. I was in for a big surprise. It was a spiritual movie with lots of wise positive messages and not really a sports movie. The story line is quite predictable after the setup, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the movie. It had lots of symmetrical shots, where left screen was a mirror image of the right. I like that kind of harmony. For example our gymnast practicing on the wrings was rarely shown from the side, but often from the front or back or even the top. All of these resulted from symmetrical images.
After I finished watching, inspired by the closing lines of the screen that told us what happened to the principal characters, I checked the movie’s background and learned that it was made from a book written by Dan Millman, an ex-gymnast-turned university professor and author, based on his own experiences and approach. The “peaceful warrior”way of life exists and is practiced by lots of people. That’s encouraging.
So what are the messages? Here are some examples, straight from the movie
- Everything has a purpose, even this, and it’s up to you to find it.
- A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does
- I call myself a Peaceful Warrior… because the battles we fight are on the inside
- This moment is the only thing that matters.
- There is no starting or stopping – only doing.
- It’s the journey, not the destination.
- There’s no greater purpose than service to others.
- Everyone wants to tell you what to do and what’s good for you. They don’t want you to find your own answers, they want you to believe theirs.
- People are not theirs thoughts, they think they are, and it brings them all kinds of sadness.
- Sometimes you have to lose your mind before you come to your senses.
I like hese messages, even if I cannot live by them. Yet?
And the movie was OK too, although did not find revelationary or revolutionary at this point of my life.
IMDB’s summary: A chance encounter with a stranger changes the life of a college gymnast